Thursday, March 31, 2011

I have a Job

I have a new job. I'm working for a farmer in the area who grows alfalfa and hay, etc and he also has a feed store on the ranch where people can buy any kind of animal food they want. cows, horses, chickens, turkeys, goats, pigs, cats, dogs, birds, and more. there is all kinds of hay, alphalpha, wheat, grass, etc. and straw. I don't know what my hours are going to be or what my pay is going to be. They just opened the office door and shoved me inside and closed it and I havn't seen anyone since. They are months behind so I'm working like crazy trying to figure out the software and getting things caught up. The farmers mother, Mary, who is 92 and the sweetest thing came in for a couple of hours and showed me what needed to be done and after that I just started working on the puzzle. I am a good problem solver, so I know I will figure it out. The upside is It's about five minutes away so I won't have to spend a fortune on gas to get to work and I can come home for lunch. I also don't need to spend much on a wordrobe. No one cares. I can come and go as I want as long as I get the work done. This is the backside of the ranch as you drive along Santa Teresa This is the front of the ranch and the office is the little building on the left. Some of the people I work with are real dummies, (just kidding), but I will say they are interesting. There is the owner, Willy Silva, who is a nice guy and he kind of reminds me of Louie Bonino. Same MO. Tom who works behind the counter has a really big red afro that he tries to hide under a sweaty baseball cap. He is short and square and he has big spaces between his brown teeth and when you talk to him, his eyes roll up like he thinks you are on the ceiling. I have learned not to ask him any questions because he doesn't stop talking until you walk away and close the door behind you. Matt is tall, thin, with long dark brown stringy hair that he wares in a pony tail and tries to hide it under a sweaty baseball cap. He is quiet and a little grumpy, but helpful. There are two cats that live at the office. I have grown partial to one of them. I forgot his name, but every morning since I started, he comes in and sits next to my keyboard and watches me work. Every once in a while he lets out a little half meow just to remind me that he needs his ears scratched. When he gets bored, he goes out to the store and climbs up on the counter where he has his own little bed and goes to sleep. At night he is supposedly catching mice. But in the day he sleeps in his bed and allows the customers to pet him. The other cat is not as friendly and I don't know where he goes, but I see him once in a while. The down side is I will probably be working part time and I'm not making as much as I made before anyway. But it's a job and I'm glad to be working, sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive